This design of roses, pinks and Acanthus
leaves was originally produced in 1881 by Morris &
Co. as a woven silk damask for the Blue Room of St. James’s
Palace in London. St. James's Palace was a residence of
kings and queens of England for over 300 years.
Morris’s firm had already done
work for the Palace in 1866-67. This silk design was used
as a wallcovering, and also used as curtains. Morris sold
it for several years as a wall covering, also using it
in the Small Drawing Room of Stanmore Hall in 1888-96.
Designed by William Morris in 1881
(Documentary colourway of the original silk)